20 Argumentative Essay Topics For Middle School
An argumentative essay is designed to explain to your reader information about one side of an argument. It is a lot like a persuasive essay because the idea is to explain one side of an issue but the idea is to present the facts without your opinion involved. A persuasive essay would display personal opinions. So for an argumentative essay simply state which side of the issue you believe in and then give your reasoning as to why you believe it.
There are some great topics to consider when choosing a topic for your argumentative essay. You would choose a topic that interests you. Once you have the topic, answer the question and then support your answer with at least three reasons why you believe it. For example, if you take the first option on the list, you can write that sports should not be coed and then tell your reader three reasons why it shouldn’t be coed.
- Should sports be coed?
- Should schools sell fast food?
- Should students wear school uniforms?
- Should there be harsher punishments for bullying?
- Is it fair to ban preteenagers and teenagers from the mall without adult supervision?
- Should there be less homework?
- When are you old enough to stay home alone?
- Should middle school students still have a bed time?
- Does summer school benefit the student?
- How would you change the school lunch menu?
- Should school sports be mandatory?
- Do kids watch too much television?
- Should kids have chores?
- Should you have to wear your seat belt on the bus?
- Should students who play sports still have to take Gym class?
- Should children be more concerned with what they eat so that they don’t have health problems when they get older?
- Should you get a larger allowance?
- Should school be year round with more breaks to improve education?
- Do violent games and television shows make kids violent?
- Should your school have a school newspaper?
Any one of these topics would work well. They are designed to establish a question pertaining to a conflicted view and then challenge yourself to prove your stance. Therefore, you would tell your side of the dispute and then for each body paragraph talk about a different reason why you believe it.
20 Intriguing Persuasive Essay Topics for 5th Graders
Understanding what makes a good persuasive essay
In order to come up with a good topic for a persuasive essay, it is important to think of a theme that has at least two different sides to it. Therefore, you can argue your point of view in an attempt to persuade the reader that your conclusion is the most valid.
Sometimes it can be good to go for a controversial topic; however, this is not always necessary. It is perfectly acceptable to go for a topic which you feel strongly about, even if it isn’t risqué. In fact, it does not even need to be a topic you feel strongly about, particularly as sometimes you may need to be arguing for the opposite side.
What is the difference between a persuasive and an argumentative essay?
If you are wondering what differences there are between a persuasive and an argumentative paper, then essentially there are none. They are both the same style of writing and the names are interchangeable; therefore, whether you are asked to write a persuasive or an argumentative paper, the approach is the same.
Twenty topics for a persuasive essay
The following is a list of titles that can produce good quality argumentative or persuasive papers:
- Should boys and girls play on the same teams at sport?
- Should schools allow students to bring pets in with them?
- Cats are better pets to own than dogs
- Should teachers use computer games to help with teaching in schools?
- Should computer games be seen as a form of sport?
- Should schools served deep-fried food and other unhealthy options for lunch?
- Should bullies be expelled from the educational system?
- Short hairstyles look better than longer cuts
- Is baseball not as appealing as it once was?
- Students should be rewarded for doing well.
- Should schools increase their revenue by selling sugary soda drinks and candy?
- Should cheerleading be considered a sport?
- Should school students be given less homework to do?
- Being skilful is more important than working hard.
- Should schools separate boys and girls in classes?
- Should schools allow students to snack whilst in class?
- Should schools begin morning classes later than they currently do?
- If students have to wear uniforms, should teachers also follow a similar dress code?
- Wearing school uniforms helps to improve the performance of students
- Should tablets and laptops be used instead of traditional school textbooks?