Summer job is secret of success: Working during holidays gives teenagers knowledge of employment and how to do well in it
- Teens who work during holidays gain a competitive advantage as adults
- Study showed early exposure to work helped hone work preferences
- The more hours 15-year-olds work, the better their career prospects
- Work offers opportunities that 'prepare adolescents for the real world'
By Daily Mail Reporter
Published: 23:26 GMT, 8 July 2014 | Updated: 00:33 GMT, 9 July 2014
Children who get part-time jobs during their summer holidays boost their wage packets later in life, a new study claims.
A new study has found teens who work over the summer gain a significant competitive advantage when they enter the world of work as adults.
Even working in low-skilled jobs, such as a fast food restaurant such as McDonalds, can be a benefit when it comes to getting a well-paid job.
Teens who work during school holidays - even in low skilled roles - gain a competitive advantage as adults
Developing early knowledge of the working world and how to manage in it, they are more likely to find good employment and earn more money in the future, said the study by the University of British Columbia, Canada.
Study co-author Marc-David Seidel said: 'With summer in full swing and kids sitting on the couch, many parents are wondering whether to push them to find a job.
'Parents may think that their kids could do better than a job at the local fast food joint. But our study shows even flipping burgers has value - particularly if it leads to part-time work later during school term.'
Prof Seidel and his team found teens in part-time jobs progress to better-suited careers since the early exposure to work helps them hone their preferences.
They enhance their soft skills, acquire better references and learn how to job-hunt more successfully - establishing wider career networks.
The more hours that 15-year-olds work, particularly during the school term when they have to learn to manage their time, the better their career prospects, said Prof Seidel.
The study showed benefits arose from working up to as much as 33 hours per week during the school year or 43 hours during summer.
Researchers from the University of British Columbia, pictured, said even work flipping burgers had value
Researchers used data from a study of nearly 250,000 Canadian youngsters, looking at their work history over a decade beginning at age 15 and ending at 25.
Prof Seidel said: 'Adolescent labour has been stigmatised as exploitative with many parents opting to put their kids in summer camp rather than summer jobs.
'However, our research shows that working can offer educational and developmental opportunities that prepare adolescents for the real world.'
The study is published in the journal Research in the Sociology of Work.
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.
Share or comment on this article
- Married RE teacher, 46, faces being struck off for...
- EXCLUSIVE: 'God protect me!': Katie Piper shares cryptic...
- Is where you live an Alabama Rot hotspot? Interactive map...
- Devastated couple have their £15,000 wedding cancelled...
- Australia, Poland and Japan could join England in...
- 'He's a sleepy-eye son of a b***h': Vitriolic Trump...
- Scott Baio's stuntwoman wife, 45, reveals she has been...
- 'Tempers occasionally get frayed': Stranger Things...
- Ex-serviceman had been thrown off veterans' home PTSD...
- Moment 'drunk' Ryanair passenger, 45, who forced a...
- Shame of Bono's charity bullies: Married female worker...
- Traces of nerve agent are found in Zizzi restaurant where...
- Beware of Disease X: World Health Organisation scientists...
- Florida teacher 'attacks mother and repeatedly punches...
- Heart-stopping moment a police officer walked away...
- Horse and trappings of royalty! Lady Louise Windsor, 14,...
- Father-of-two, 33, is hit by hundreds of pounds of fines...
- 'He's a TRAITOR!': Anna Chapman launches Instagram rant...
Summer is the hottest season of the year however very interesting and entertaining season especially for the kids because they get chance to enjoy swimming, hilly regions, eat ice-creams, lassi, favorite fruits, etc. They enjoy school off in the summer season. It is one of the four temperate seasons of the year which falls between spring and autumn. We have provided below some essays on summer season under various words limit in order to help students who have been assigned by their teachers to write some paragraphs or complete essay on this topic. You can select any of the paragraphs or essays according to your need and requirement.
Essay on Summer Season
Summer Season Essay 1 (100 words)
Summer is the hottest season having longest days and shortest nights. It is quite longest season than other seasons of the year. During summer solstice, days become longest and nights shortest. Summer season generally starts soon after the Holi festival (in the month of March) and ends in the month of June. As day-length increases, summer season temperature become at highest peak point; however, as day-length decreases, summer temperature goes down slowly. When it becomes summer in Northern Hemisphere, it becomes winter in Southern Hemisphere. Weather becomes quite dry in this season however because of high temperature, warm air runs all through the season which is intolerable to us.
Summer Season Essay 2 (150 words)
Summer season covers the months March, April, May and June. It is the hottest season of the year as temperature reaches at its highest point. During this season, days get longer and hotter whereas nights shorter. In the middle of the day, sun rays are very hot. Hot wind runs all through the day which makes all around environment dry and rough. During peak summer season, small streams, wells, and ponds get dry up. People living in the rural areas suffer the lack of water, high heat, dryness, etc a lot because of the lack of electricity and other comfortable resources.
In spite of high heat, people enjoy eating summer season fruits like mangoes, cucumber, jackfruits, lichee, muskmelon, watermelon, etc in abundance. People in the urban areas enjoy a lot of activities in this season like swimming, tour to the hilly regions, Water Park, Fun Food Village, etc.
Summer Season Essay 3 (200 words)
Summer season is the hottest season of the year which makes outing almost impossible all through the day. People generally go outside to the market in the late evening or night. Most of the people enjoy morning walk in the summer season because of its cooling effect. Dusty, dry, and hot wind runs all through the day. Sometimes, people suffer heat stroke, dehydration, diarrhea, cholera and other health disorders due to the summer. Following are some points we should follow during summer season:
- It is very sunny season.
- We should wear comfortable cotton clothes.
- We should eat and drink cold things to fight summer heat.
- We should take lots of precautions to be healthy and fit all through the season.
- We should go to the hilly regions in summer vacation to easily combat with summer heat.
- We should drink lots of water to avoid dehydration and heat stroke.
- We should not go outside during day time especially 10am to 5pm to avoid harmful ultraviolet rays.
- We should keep a bowl of water and some rice grains outside in the corridor to save birds from the summer heat.
- We should ask for water to the people especially goods sellers, postman, etc.
- We should use cooling resources for our comfort in summer season; however, try to use less electricity to reduce the bad effects of global warming.
- We should not waste water and electricity.
- We should plant more trees in our surrounding areas and water them on daily basis to reduce the summer heat.
Summer Season Essay 4 (250 words)
Summer season is one of the four seasons of the year. In spite of being a hottest season of the year, kids like it most as they get summer vacation to enjoy in many ways. Summer season is caused due to the tilt of Earth’s rotational axis towards the sun during year-long earth’s revolution around the sun. Summer season brings very hot and dry weather (in Mediterranean regions) and rainy weather (in Eastern Asia because of Monsoon). At some places, storms and thunderstorms (which produce hail, strong winds and tornadoes especially afternoon and evening) are very common in the spring through summer.
Most of the people living in the urban areas cannot bear too much summer heat that’s why they went to seaside resorts, hilly regions, beaches, camps or picnics at cool places in the summer vacations with their kids. They enjoy swimming, eating summer fruits and drinking cold drinks. For some people, summer season is good as they enjoy and entertain them at cool places; however, it really becomes intolerable for people living in the rural areas because of the lack of summer heat beating resources. At some places, people suffer a huge lack of water in their own areas and they have to carry drinking water from long distance.
It is all over good season for the children as they get one and half months long summer vacation, enjoy at home with family, go for touring at cool places, enjoy swimming, and eat ice-creams including summer fruits. Generally, people enjoy summer morning walk before sun rise as it gives cool, calm and happy feeling with fresh air.
Summer Season Essay 5 (300 words)
Mainly, there are four seasons in India; summer season is one of them. It is very hot season however mostly liked by people. It occurs for four months (March, April, May and June) however May and June are high heated months of the summer season. Summer season is caused because of the movement of the earth around the Sun (called as earth’s revolution). During this movement, when part of earth comes nearer to the sun, gets heated (because of straight and direct sun’s rays) which bring the summer season. In this season, days become long and night short.
It falls after the festival of Holi and ends before the start of rainy season. All the water evaporated during summer season, stores in the form of vapor in the atmosphere (which makes clouds) and fall as rain in the rainy season. There are some advantages as well as disadvantages of the summer season. On one hand, when it is the season of enjoyment and rest for kids; on the other hand, it puts people at various problems and risks such as high heat, storm, heat stroke, dehydration, summer-boils, weakness, restless, etc. Mid-day of summer days become full of terrible heat which cause many weak people to die or suffer from sun-strokes.
At many places in India, people suffer scarcity of water and drought condition as wells, canals, and rivers go dry. Trees suffer falling of leaves because of lack of water. Everywhere dusty and hot wind runs which keeps people at health risk. We need to eat more fruits, cold things and drink more water in order to beat the summer heat.
Summer Season Essay 6 (400 words)
Summer is the hottest season among four seasons of the year. It begins on the day of Summer Solstice however ends on the day of Autumnal Equinox. Southern and Northern Hemispheres are located in opposite directions; so, when it is summer in Southern Hemisphere, it is winter in the northern hemisphere.
Facts about Summer Season:
Following are some facts regarding the summer season:
- Summer season occurs as earth is tilted towards the sun (means hemisphere tilted in the direction of the sun experiences summer whereas hemisphere tilted away to sun experiences winter).
- Children become happier in summer as they get long vacation from school.
- December, January, and February are also the months of summer however in the Southern Hemisphere, and June, July, and August are months of summer in the Northern Hemisphere.
- It is the season which keeps people outdoor for most of the time.
- It contains longest and warmest days of the year.
- We get interesting fruits and crops.
Why Summer is Hot Weather
It is the season of excessive temperature and dry weather including violent monsoons which causes rising death tolls. Weather in this season grows warmer because of the high temperature which leads to droughts with short water supply, scarcity or completely lack of water in some regions. Heat waves and spikes in temperature make this season excessively hot weather which creates number of problems to both, people and wildlife.
Many summer deaths (people or animals) are caused by dehydration due to heat waves. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, high heat waves are the reason of deadliest extreme weather in summer. So, it is good to stay well hydrated all through the season. According to the National Academy of Science’s Food and Nutrition Board, women should normally take 2.7 liters of water and men 3.7 liters on daily basis in the summer. However, people involved in vigorous exercises must take more water than normal.
It has been recorded by the NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center that year 2014 was the hottest summer. According to NASA, global heat is increasing during summer year by year because of the human created global warming. And, it seems that, this rising temperature will soon make this world a summer-like place all through the year.
As we are human being, the most intelligent creation of God, we must think and act positively towards this ever increasing temperature. We should enjoy the summer season by using all the comfortable resources however we should not cross the limit. We should enjoy within limit and always save water and electricity. We should not waste water and electricity because there is very less percentage of clean water on this earth and unnecessary use of electricity cause global warming. Come on! We can do it by joining our hands together.